Saturday, June 23, 2012

Little Energy Bites

There are days when the last thing I want to do is eat healthy. I don't help my cravings by creating an imaginary world in my head where I can eat all the things I want in a place that resembles Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Cake, cookies, pop...all the things I used to shrug off that I now try not to eat, and I definitely try to keep OUT of arms length! I realize some people don't struggle with food addiction or allergies and therefore don't understand how hard it can be, but if you're anything like me you will understand this post! During my grocery shop today I lingered through the aisle after aisle, hoping I would find a treat to munch on during my movie tonight. Each time I picked something up I put it back with a disappointed sigh.

No sugar added fruit pops - too many ingredients.
Skinny cow ice cream - still all the wrong ingredients.
All natural sweet potato chips - the first ingredient was corn (really???)

I left empty handed. I chose sushi for supper instead of McDonalds. I ate watermelon when I wanted a popsicle. Yet I could only think about something sweet for dessert. So I gave in and whipped up a small batch of energy bites!



I can't take credit for this recipe, I don't remember where on earth I got it and there are so many of these recipes floating around online! I've slightly customized it to my taste and I have to recommend it. It vaguely reminds me of haystacks, those yummy no-bake cookies I used to gobble up as a kid! And when I'm desperate to 'treat' myself like I was tonight, I don't even bother rolling it into balls, I'll eat it with a spoon. Unfortunately it's sweet enough for me now that I can only eat a few before my stomach is a little grouchy with me. Worth it anyway. Enjoy!

Little Energy Bites

1 cup oats
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp wheat germ

1. Throw everything in a bowl and mix it really well. (a mixer makes it easier!)
2. With wet hands roll into balls (about 40).
3. Store in the fridge.

I sometimes toss in cocoa to make them chocolate, or you could add raisins or nuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment