Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Basics

Well let's give this a go! Welcome! I'd like to give you an idea of what to expect on this blog and how I got started on this path. 

8 months ago I decided to pick myself up off the couch and start getting healthy. This has been a tough road with so many ups and downs but on the whole, extremely rewarding. I've also been doing this very gradually. I started out going from sitting on the couch all afternoon, drinking pop and eating ice cream to taking half hour walks 5 days a week, drinking 6-9 cups of water a day and trying to choose healthy snacks. Today I still struggle with my eating, but I have improved immensely and I try to either do a high impact exercise or an hour walk 5 days a week. I feel better now than I ever have in my life and I really want to encourage people to try making a change for yourself. If you start out small it won't overwhelm you and if you keep on making small changes you'll end up with huge results!

One of the reasons I've had so much trouble (still!) with controlling my sweet tooth is that I LOVE to bake. And it's my job, 40 hours a week...there's something to be said for quality control! I recently pieced together that my body and processed sugar do not jive. It was frustrating but not a complete devastation. I was trying to eat healthier anyway and this gave me a really good reason to quit with the desserts I was eating (even if it was on a much less regular basis than it had been). Here's where I got frustrated. I wanted to have the option of still having desserts without the pain. But anything I found in the health food section or frozen dessert section of the grocery store either had sugar or sugar substitutes that I either cannot or do not want to eat. So where is there left to go besides my own kitchen?!

So I thought I'd share. My goal here is to create desserts that taste good but don't contain all those nasty ingredients that will make you regret eating it later. I also want to make desserts out of whole food ingredients that you WILL have in your pantry. Nothing frustrates me more than finding a healthy dessert recipe but then realizing I'll have to spend $30 at the health food store to get all the ingredients for it. Plain and simple I want it to taste good and I want it to be good. At the top of the page are links to pages about the ingredients I'll be using in my recipes, check them out!


I want to create a space where people can discover that you can make good food yourself. It pains me to see all the prepackaged food that gets checked out of our grocery stores. Good food doesn't have to be time consuming to make yourself! (It can be, but it doesn't have to be!) I hope you enjoy what you find here and I welcome any feedback you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment